Nanna Banana holding daddy's hand

Nanna Banana holding daddy's hand
Nanna Banana holding daddy's hand

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lullaby

Music is amazing. when they talk about music soothing the savage beast, i think they must have truly had the toddler in mind.
Now, I am NOT a singer by any means. I am not sure if you can truly be tone deaf and know that you are, but... I am. Now the strange thing is, when I sing to my kids, they don't care, they still want me to sing along with them. the most amazing thing is that even though i sing so poorly, they can sing the songs in tune. AMAZING that the brain can interpret music i that way.
I have always sang to Buggy boo. I never thought i would be one of THOSE parents.  But even as young as she was when she came to us, one of the few things that calmed her addiction was singing. I remember holing the tiny little 8lb 6 week old creature in my arms as she was shaking and crying, and just holding her on my stomach and singing to her. At first I was afraid (Of what? a tiny baby judging me?) so I didn't sing words, just sang the melody in Doo doo bee lyrics. funny. singing that way, I am on key.... go figure.
But as time went on, I sang words. The song that I gave to my Buggy Boo was "You are my Sunshine"
One time I remember being the night before court. I knew that her bio-parents were supposed to be ordered to go into residential treatment and I was devastated. I remember crying as I sang the song and found the lyric "please don't take my sunshine away". Every night to this day, I hold her close and rock her singing this song to her. 
Nanna Banana came to us at a different part of her life and was just a bit more difficult since she did not like to be held. I never really gave her a song until one day she picked one out from a movie she liked. Fortunately it is an old stand-by and for my little princess who is going to grow up a queen bee, the song "Hush little baby don't say a word" works well for her. She loves the repetition to the song and that the song is "her" song.
I also made up a little song that I sing as I close the door and turn out the lights.

"I love Daddy, Daddy, loves me,
We love, Nanna and Goober Pea
So God Bless Daddy and God Bless me
And God Bless Nanna and Goober Pea."

it is from an old nursery rhyme.

"I see the moon and the moon sees me
The moon sees somebody I'd like to see
So God Bless the Moon and God Bless me
And God Bless the somebody I'd like t see."

It is sort of the same tune as Nanna bananas song

The reason I am writing tonight about lullaby's
Is that tonight I really thought about how important this sort of thing is, and how it calms.
Little 4 x 4 was sitting just outside the door of the girls room listening to our good-night ritual.
When I was getting ready to put him to bed, he asked if I would rock him and sing to him the way I did the girls. I had forgotten his request.
Until I heard him cry out in the night. He must have had a bad dream or something because he kept saying that "He couldn't make it stop".
So, I picked him up out of bed and held him tight. I rocked him and sang Bob Marley's song, "3 little Birds"

"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', ("This is my message to you-ou-ou:")

Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

It calmed him down and before I finished the song he was back to sleep.
Amazing it is. A simple lullaby and how it seems to make you feel loved and connected.
Guess I need to come up with one for 7. but.... Maybe he already has his.

So,  sing on my friends, sing to and with your children. they do not know or understand perfect pitch. they understand the love and good feeling behind the song.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Gen! I love music...and how connected you can become. I love singing with kids and find myself humming to myself to calm down when I am nervous or upset. :) One day I hope to do that with a little one of my own.

    ReplyDelete