Nanna Banana holding daddy's hand

Nanna Banana holding daddy's hand
Nanna Banana holding daddy's hand

Saturday, October 8, 2011

another placement

We got another call today for a placement.
This time, it is a bit different. The two children we are asked to take are a little older than we had hoped for and the younger of the two is Autistic.
I am nervous.
I hate saying no, and I really feel bad for these children, but there is an awful lot to consider. My gut feeling says that this placement is going to go to adoption.
Some of the things i worry about is how Nanna Banana's behavior might change, or if the issues faced with autism will take away from Buggy Boo and her recent growth.
I also worry about Baynard not being able to handle the stress of autism. He has absolutely no clue since he has never been around a truly autistic child.
I am hoping that he is not as severe as I am thinking he might be in my brain. but... is that wishful thinking?
I know autism takes up a LOT of time and patience.
Are we ready for that?
Is the family ready for that?
Am I ready for that?
Are the two children in state custody ready for our crazy and often chaotic and spontaneous home?

On the flip side, I know how rewarding children with special needs can be, and these children are definitely in need of a loving family who can provide structure and understanding.

Our little family is going to meet this autistic child. Hopefully things go well and we can move forward.

Its just  a lot to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment